AAAAAAAAAH! Yours truly is nominated for the Liebster Award 2018 by The Barefoot Backpackers. I am so honoured for this and excited to be part of this movement. Sending you thanks and love from the Philippines, Jareena and Ari! ❤ Please visit their blog for tips on how to travel the world on a budget. Yes, guys – on a budget!
About the Liebster Award:
The Liebster Award was created in order to promote new blogs and support the growing blogging community. Itis an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
There you go! Now my time to answer The Barefoot Backpackers’questions. Let’s start! 🙂
- What inspired you to create your blog?
I have always believed that life is short and that we must make the most out it… So, with this blog, I would like to share my experiences – discoveries, adventures and misfortunes, hoping to inspire people, especially women like me, to go forth and see the world’s beauty and madness and unlock its mysteries.
Let’s just say that I am a bit futuristic… So, one goal I have in mind on why I started blogging is that I would like my future kids and grandchildren (and grand-grand-grandchildren) to see how crazy yet beautiful life could be through my experiences and discoveries, and how I am able to conquer challenges one step at a time – talk about setting a good (hopefully?) example to them!
- How do you think you differ from other bloggers in your niche?
I have seen bloggers discovering places outside their home country, and for years before I got into blogging, I was also doing the same. I’ve been to 13 countries (as of date of writing) yet I haven’t visited enough of my own. And to tell you, Philippines has a lot to offer. So I would say, this time, I will focus more on exploring, discovering, and promoting my own hometown and country. Support local!
- What are a few goals you have for the next 5 years?
In terms of travelling and blogging, my goal would be to help promote my own town and country through my blog, photos, and other social media platforms.
I would also love to create a business that will support local groups in my hometown, especially talented yet underprivileged women, and expose their talent and craft to the world.
Of course, finally visit Europe. It’s such a dream quite difficult to attain for me due to complexity of visa application. But…. I’ll get there!
- Where is your next travel destination and why?
This year, I would like to discover more of my country since in 2017 I was backpacking around Southeast East. I am from the Philippines, and my country has a lot of places to be proud of. We are an archipelago with pristine beaches, beautiful mountains, and warm people. So up on my list are the following and the accompanying reasons:
- Sagada, Mountain Province – I’d love to experience that peace of mind I’ve been longing for.
- Bantayan Island and Oslob, Cebu – My goal is to explore the island on a bicycle, and of course, swim with the whale sharks!
- Siargao – Undiscovered paradise. I’d like to get there before everyone else does.
But of course, I would still want to discover the beauty outside my hometown. Thus, my next travel international travel destinations would be:
- Taiwan – visa-free for Filipino passport holders, FINALLY!!!!!
- Vietnam (Hanoi and Hoi An) – I fell in love with Vietnam during my second visit. However, due to time constraints, I wasn’t able to explore more. So this time, it’s on top of my list!
- Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, Thailand – I’ve been to Thailand twice in 2017 and my first one was in 2013, and I am not able to visit these two places. This year, I’ll make sure to go for this.
- What is your least favorite thing about traveling and why?
LEAST favorite! Well, probably being rushed. I have this trait of wanting to take my own sweet time in discovering one place and experiencing culture. So as much as possible, I don’t take organized trips where you are limited to a specific time to see spots and experience things. So, starting this year 2018, I would go for “Less quantity, more quality”. Meaning, not into rushing to see most number of places at a time, but more into experiencing more of that place.
- What is a quote you live by and what does it mean to you?
I live by the quote, “If you can dream it, you can do it.”. That’s by Walt Disney. I am basically a dreamer, a planner, and a doer. So most of the time, if things don’t go my way, I feel frustrated about it. However, since I always hold on to my dreams, I take my time to recover and get back on my feet again. Eyes on the goal.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
I have named my blog after myself – Valerie Buaquen ©– simply because I want people to remember me and my actions with my real name. I believe that in my simple ways, I can create an impact to this beautiful world of ours.
Now onto my nominations, questions, and the rules!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you for the Liebster Award with a link back to their blog and a small excerpt about them.
- Nominate 5-10 new bloggers who you appreciate and create new questions for them to answer. You can ask them to share something silly about themselves, how they started their blog, etc.
- Finally, leave a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them and make sure you link their blogs on your post!
- Also, post a photo of the Liebster Award logo on your post and/or your blog homepage!
My questions for the new nominees:
- What inspired you to create your blog?
- If you’re not blogging now, what do you think would you be doing?
- If you only have $50 to spend for 3 days of travelling abroad, how would you spend it?
- If you would have a superpower, what would it be and why?
- If you were to create a mobile application for travel, what would it be and what is it for?
- Would you rather be thorns in a cactus or thorns in a rose?
- What (or who) do you think you are in your past life?
I would love to pass on the love to the following people:
Once again, thank you so much The Barefoot Backpackers for this nomination! ❤